From live music on the scenic Congaree River to the iconic Fall Back Fest street festival, there’s lots going on in West Columbia in the fall.
Jazz on the River is a free live music event every Thursday in the fall. It’s from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. at the West Columbia Amphitheater on the Riverwalk. Jazz on the River features premium beer, wine, and food on the Congaree River.
- The Jazz on the River schedule is as follows:
- Jazz Dog Thursday (Sept. 22.) Mary Arepas is the food truck;
- Zach Bingham Band (Sept. 29) Food Truck TBA;
- Soda City Brass Band (Oct. 6) Mary Arepas is the food truck;
- Adams Way Quartet (Oct. 13) Kurt’s Kitchen is the food truck;
- Dr. Mitch Butler’s Modusbone (Oct. 20) Fat Bellies is the food truck;
- Mark Rapp Funktet (Oct. 27) Kurt’s Kitchen is the food truck;
- Rod Foster and Company (Nov. 3) Mary Arepas is the food truck;
- Dick Goodwin Quartet (Nov. 10) Food Truck TBA.
Rhythm on the River has become a staple at the West Columbia Amphitheater on the Riverwalk. Rhythm on the River is a free concert series. The fall concerts are held from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. on Friday nights.
There’s plenty of seating at the amphitheater, or you can bring a blanket or a chair and relax and enjoy the view of the beautiful Congaree River behind the stage. Or you may want to take a walk along the Riverwalk trail while listening to the concert. It’s a magnificent setting for any event.”
On behalf of our CWC Board of Directors and the sponsors of Rhythm on the River, we are excited to bring back a free concert for the family every Friday evening in October. This fall series promised to great time for all,” said Tim James, president and CEO of the Greater Cayce-West Columbia Chamber of Commerce. Shop and eat at our local merchants before attending the concerts. Love Local.”
The Rhythm on the River schedule is as follows:
- Phil Urban Presents: Elvis & Variety Show with Elizabeth Urban (Oct. 7);
- Neon Browne Band (Oct. 14);
- Nahi Gruv (Oct. 21);
- Interstate Exiles (Oct. 28.)
Fall Back Fest
Stroll, Sip, Shop, and Dine at West Columbia’s Fall Back Fest. It’s from 5:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 4, at the corner of State and Meeting Streets. It’s held in conjunction with the November State Street Art Crawl.
“Fall Back Fest has become a popular and highly anticipated event in West Columbia. Our merchants love the opportunity to open their businesses for a fun and festive evening. The Meeting Street Artisan Market is also open and full of traffic,” said Kelli Ricard. “The feedback we get from everyone who attends has been great. The bands are Prettier than Matt and 76 and Sunny and the live mural art painting is a unique opportunity to watch the creative process as it happens. Planning for this year’s fall back fest is going well and we’re looking forward to another energy-packed event.”
Ricard also said Emerald Artistry will be set up at the market and caricatures by Kate Batten will be set up on State Street.
In addition to these special seasonal events that offer live music, there are venues in West Columbia that invite music fans out for entertainment.
Chayz Lounge, at 626 Meeting St., is a live jazz venue in the heart of West Columbia’s River District. Chaye describes it as a warm, elegant atmosphere that invites you to experience the finest smooth jazz and rhythm and blues acts. It’s the perfect place for adults to spend an evening with friends or a romantic night out enjoying a light meal, a glass of wine or signature cocktails, and the best live performances.
Bill’s Pickin’ Parlor at 710 Meeting Street is a family-friendly venue to pick, grin, sing or just listen. See the line-up, below, of events at Bill’s Pickin’ Parlor:
- Songwriters Open Mic: 2nd & 4th Tuesday 7-9 pm
- Slow Jam: Usually 2nd Saturday 1-3:30 pm
- Dulcimer Workshop: 3rd Saturday 11am-1 pm
- Line Dance Lesson: Every Thursday 6-7 pm
- All Request Dance Night w/DJ Mr. Eddie: Every Thursday 7-10 pm
- Bluegrass Open Stage & Jam: Every Friday Open stage 7-9 pm, jam until midnight
- Saturday Dancing: DJ or live band every Saturday 6-10 pm.
Fall is a wonderful time in West Columbia and there’s lots to do. Get out and enjoy all the entertainment opportunities.