Kinetic Derby Day is Saturday – Here’s everything you need to know- From event schedule and road closings to parking information and sponsors
On Saturday (April 22) the fourth annual Kinetic Derby Day will return to Meeting and State Streets in West Columbia. This year marks the return of the kinetic sculpture parade to kick off the day, followed by soapbox racing, and the obstacle course. The streets will be packed and it’s a day of irresistible fun.
“The Kinetic Derby Day attendees come from all over,” said Anna Huffman, City of West Columbia Director of Public Relations. “We’ve even spoken to some who are coming from California this year.” This event is a wonderful representation of the spirit of West Columbia. It’s a free, action-packed day for the whole family or even without the kids. It starts with a quirky Kinetic Sculpture Parade and continues with racing, messy obstacles, a kids area, and we’ve partnered with iMAGINE this year for a STEAM Festival on State Street.
Kinetic Drrby Day is in West Columbia Councilman Joseph Dickey’s district. He is looking forward to it.
“I’ll be there with my whole family,” Dickey said. “Kinetic Derby Day is a chance for everybody in the community to come together to enjoy West Columbia and what we have to offer. “It’s a wonderful event the city offers and it’s free. there is no cost.”
After the kinetic sculpture parade, soapbox cars take over the massive hill on Meeting Street to race in adult and children divisions. After the traditional side-by-side soapbox race ends, an obstacle course comes on to Meeting Street for more intense soapbox racing. Awards are given for the best sculpture, the fastest car, and the best soapbox car design.
At the bottom of the hill, you’ll find food trucks and West Columbia’s Interactive Art Park hosting and The Meeting Street Artisan Market. At the corner of Meeting Street and State Street, you can’t miss a Giant Slide that will be sure to bring a crowd. On State Street, the iMAGINE STEAM festival offers interactive science fun and the Kids’ Zone with exhibition soapbox racing for the little ones.
Below is the Kinetic Derby Day schedule of events:
- 10 AM – The Kinetic Sculpture Parade kicks off a day full of fun. Register until April 17, 2023. This year’s parade is 80s themed! Throw on your 80s fashions and ride a bike or create an 80s sculpture to ride or pull.
- 10:30 AM – 11 AM – Kids’ Zone opens and the chalk artists begin. SOAPBOX RACING BEGINS by 11 AM.
- 12:30 PM – The track changes… new this year with obstacles and ramps! Start on the Whetzel’s Automotive push ramp, slide through First Community Bank’s green Jell-O Explosion, hit Savage Craft’s Foam Surprise, get soaked by PASCO’s Water Works, and end up in the COVID corn/grits.
While waiting on the track to change, enjoy the chalk artists creating on the corner of Meeting and State, the Meeting Street Artisan Market, shop in the local stores, eat in local restaurants and food trucks, or take a ride on Brookland’s Giant Slide on the corner of State and Meeting Streets. We have partnered with iMAGINE STEAM Festival to bring a hands-on STEAM Festival to State Street. Make sure to check it out.
- 1 PM – 2 PM – The Obstacle Course brings on the fun! Participants will be able to test their builds and get dirty with the new obstacles, pedal-powered cars, and ramps. This is a single-car, timed event.
- 2:30 PM – Awards Ceremony on Savage Craft Ale Works’ Stage and stay for the after party!
What else is there to do?
In addition to our Kids’ Zone, brought to you by the Boys and Girls Club, iMAGINE has joined us bringing a STEAM festival with demonstrations and even more hands-on experiences. As always, the event spurs creative thinking, competition, and family fun as teams come together to build unusual vehicles and awe-inspiring art installations.
The mission of Kinetic Derby Day is to inspire creative problem solving, build community pride, and showcase our growing community welcoming economic investment. The event is intended to inspire creative thinkers and help develop problem-solving skills to construct the ideas imagined.
Registration for racing, Kinetic Sculpture Parade, iMAGINE STEAM Festival, and volunteers are open at www.kineticderbyday.com.
Sign up to volunteer at https://signup.com/go/YyNHpnB.
Road Closure Information
The temporary road closures are marked on the below map and as follows:
- Meeting Street from 9th to Leaphart Streets, from 7 AM to 5:30 PM
- Meeting Street from Leaphart Street to Sunset Boulevard, from 7 AM to 7 PM
- State Street from Sunset Boulevard to Spring Street, from 7 AM to 7 PM
- Meeting Street from 9ᵗʰ Street to S. Witt Street will be open to local traffic only.
- Center Street from Shuler to Center Street will be open to local traffic only.
- Businesses: West Columbia Police Officers will allow patrons through the local traffic-only areas after providing the destination. Please provide your customers with this information.
- The Interactive Art Parking Lot, 425 Meeting Street, will be open to parking with the only entrance off of Center Street. All roads will be opened as they are cleared.
Another way to show your community support for the event is to add a pinwheel to your mailbox, yard, or office! The pick-up locations are:
- City Hall – Customer Service
- Café Strudel
- McAlister-Smith Funeral & Cremation
- Pedego Electric Bikes
- The Hideout in WeCo
- Brickhouse Gourmet Coffee & Tea Co. D’s Wings
- Moda Salon
- State Street Trading Company
- Whetzel’s Automotive
Parking (Map included below)
- FREE Public Parking Garage – 310 Court Avenue
- River District Baptist Church – 400 State Street
- The Warehouse – 312 State Street
- Interactive Art Park – 425 Meeting Street
- Carraway Park – 212 Hudson Street
- Capitol Square – 483 Sunset Boulevard
Thank you to the festival sponsors & partners!
- House of Raeford – Start Line
- TNT Martial Arts & Fitness – Finish Line
- Aflac – iMAGINE STEAM Festival
- Brookland SC – Fun Slide
- Cayce’s Best After School & Summer Camp – Chalk Art
- Dynamite Kids After School & Summer Camp – Kinetic Sculpture Parade
- NAI Columbia – Cash Prize
- The Sourcing Group – Mailer Marketing
- First Community Bank – Jell-O Explosion Obstacle
- PASCO – Palmetto Automatic Sprinkler Company – Water Works Obstacle
- Savage Craft Ale Works – Foam Surprise Obstacle
- The Carolina Law Group – Stage
- The Graphics Source – Signs
- Security Federal Bank – Pit Crew
- Pedego Electric Bikes – West Columbia – Community Pride
- Professional Printers – Printing
- Whetzel’s Automotive – Push Ramp
- Something Borrowed Wedding & Party Rentals – Tent
- Thompson Funeral Homes – Community Pride Sponsor
- Hood Construction – Community Pride Sponsor
- Brookland United Methodist Church
- Boys & Girls Club – Kids’ Zone
- McAlister Smith Funeral & Cremation
- River District Baptist Church
- WXRY 99.3 FM – Columbia’s Independent Alternative
- Giles Brothers Insurance
Faithful Marketing & Events