Lexington County Fire Service units responded to the 100 block of Sharon Circle in the Oak Grove community for a reported residential structure fire at around 11 a.m. On Thursday, Dec. 29. Flames and smoke were coming from the home when units arrived on scene.
Irmo Fire District units and West Columbia Fire Department units were also on scene to assist. One occupant was able to escape the home safely. Sadly, two pet dogs died as a result of the fire. The cause of the fire was determined to be improperly discarded smoking material inside the home. American Red Cross has been requested to assist the displaced occupant. (Irmo Fire photos)